Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Marinela Route Ride

For the last three days I have been on a Marinela Route Ride.  For those that don't know, Marinela is one of our most popular brands in Mexico and consists of cookies (galletas) and cake (pasteles).  Just as with the Bimbo Route, there are two vendors per truck, ones does the cookies and the other does the cake.  I was sent with Jorge (Gordo) and Jose (Largo).  Gordo and Largo are their nicknames because, well, one of them is fat and the other is tall.

This route is A LOT easier than the Bimbo route.  They do not deal with nearly as much product per store.  If we brought two trays into a Tienda, that was a lot.  Some Tiendas we didn't even need trays, we just carried the product in by hand.  

The process to get the product in the store is exactly the same as with the Bimbo route: check in, create order, break it down, check the product in, merchandise, get paid.  Because there is a lot less product to deal with, I was less busy with these guys.  I try to help out as much as possible without getting in the way.  Anytime I can save them is beneficial.  

I have been learning a lot but there is so much more I want to know.  Not being able to ask all the questions I want and get a straight forward answer is very frustrating.  Information is power and the language barrier leaves me powerless.  I have been studying Spanish pretty much every night and try to pick up new words everyday.  I still have a long way to go. 

Unlike with the Bimbo guys, the Marinela guys were able to stop for lunch.  On Monday and Tuesday we ate at this little hole in the wall.  We ordered soup (which was pretty good), rice and chicken.  When the waitress brought over our soup, she also brought a pitcher of what I thought was water over.  It was very murky and I was thinking to myself "there is no way I am drinking that" being that I was warned not to drink the water.  Well, Gordo flipped my glass over and poured me some.  I was still thinking, "not taking a sip of that".  Then they both raised their glasses and said "salude".  Being that I don't want to offend anyone, I reluctantly raised my glass and took a sip.  Phew, it was lemonade (not that it's any better because it's still probably made with tap water).  Anyways, I drank a full glass and haven't felt bad yet.  Keep your fingers crossed for me. 

Today, we delivered to this little plaza type deal that is right outside the University of Mexico (UNAM).  It is a pretty cool place that has lots of shops, places to eat, and computers and printing shops.  There are also a bunch of cute young college girls walking around. I am going to have to come back here..... In one of the Tiendas we delivered to, a girl behind the counter took a liking to me and asked for my number.  I asked her how old she was.  She was 17.  No thanks, not trying to go to Mexican jail.  She asked if she could take a picture of me though and I said yes.  Soy muy guapo!! 

Tomorrow Joe and I are taking a tour of the Marinela Cake plant.  We don't have to be there till 11am so I can finally sleep past 5am.  I am looking forward to seeing the plant operation.  After that we will both be on a Tia Rosa Route (one of our other brands.  I know, there are a lot of them) for a couple days.  Until the next time people......
 
  Chicken anyone??
 Place where I are lunch on today.  These women hand press the tortillas and cook them on that giant hot plate.  I had some pretty good chicken quesadillas and tlococoyo, which is like a tortilla stuffed with beans. 
Safety Short

No comments:

Post a Comment